PowerOLAP – Error Message “Could not connect to Microsoft Excel”
Excel Splash Screen – Accessing Printer
Typically, this error occurs when a user is using a Remote connection and has a printer set to a local network. However, when using a local machine (laptop) out of office network such as working from home this error can occur.
Checklist to identifying this issue.
- Addins are added correctly.
- All Microsoft Excel windows are closed (check Task Manager – Details Tabs)
- Export a slice from PowerOLAP to Microsoft Excel® or open a saved Slice and where the PowerOLAP Database information will be a #NAME.
Key Indicator of this issue is when opening Microsoft Excel®, within the splash screen you will see along the bottom “Accessing Printer” See Screenshot below
There are two Solutions for this issue.
- Navigate to the Printer Settings in the Control Panel and select “Microsoft Print to PDF” as the default printer.
- Remote Desktop Connection
- Open the Remote Desktop Connection and click on “Show Options”. Along the top click “Local Resources”, this is where you can remove access to printers. (see screenshot to the right).